Dental Cleanings and Check-Ups
Keeping teeth healthy is easy when you get dental cleanings and check-ups at our Center City dental office every six months. Even if you brush and floss every day, there is no substitute for a professional teeth cleaning. Our dentists and hygienists are standing by, ready to be part of the dental team that keeps your mouth healthy.
What to Expect at Dental Cleanings and Check-Ups
Dental cleanings and check-ups are routine procedures, but they are also tailored to your unique oral health needs to ensure that your mouth is clean and healthy. Here’s what to expect:
- Cleaning: Every visit begins with a thorough cleaning of your teeth and gums by one of our talented dental hygienists. They scrape away built-up tartar and plaque, particularly in hard-to-reach places and between the teeth, polish the teeth, and floss carefully.
- Education: Our hygienists also educate patients about the basics of oral health and the best methods for at-home dental care, including recommendations for toothbrushes, toothpastes, and other cleaning tools.
- X-Rays: Usually once a year, depending on your dental insurance and your oral health needs, you will have bitewing x-rays taken so your dentist can see your teeth in greater detail. These low radiation x-rays identify any hidden or growing problems so they can be addressed quickly and effectively.
- Exam: Either Dr. Kimmie Patel or Dr. Kunal Parikh will visit you during your check-up and conduct an exam of your oral health. This comprehensive evaluation includes an oral cancer screening which only takes minutes but is critical to your health. A dentist will recognize signs of this cancer immediately so aggressive early action can be taken to treat it.
- Consultation: If you have questions about procedures or problems, now is the time to ask. Want to talk about veneers, teeth whitening, or dental implants? Get your answers and estimates so you can think about what you want for your smile going forward.
Why Routine Dental Visits Are So Important
Regular dental cleanings and check-ups may seem like just one more thing you have to fit into your already full schedule, but they’re an important part of your overall health and well-being, for many reasons:
- There is no substitute for professional teeth cleaning. Even though you are diligent about cleaning your teeth, drink lots of water, chew sugarless gum, and use mouthwash, there is bacteria in your mouth. You eat and drink every day. The build-up needs to be removed with professional tools to prevent them from eating away at your enamel and oral health.
- We can see things you never will. Your teeth may look sparkly and white and beautiful in the mirror but, deep down, there could be stuff going on that is creating serious problems for your oral health. X-rays show us what’s happening within the roots and depths of your teeth, and our experience and knowledge allow us to see when something isn’t right on the surface so issues can be tended to before they grow bigger and more complicated to treat.
- A healthy mouth makes you a great candidate for cosmetic dentistry. If you’re interested in upgrading your smile aesthetically, you need a good foundation first. A clean, healthy mouth is the only way to go. Instead of waiting for your smile to fall apart before you pursue major dental enhancements, keep up with your oral health so you can get the upgrades you want when you want them.
Get a Dental Cleaning and Check-Up in Center City, Philadelphia
At Dentistry for Life, we are proud to serve our patients every day by providing dental cleanings and check-ups. Healthy teeth and gums are an essential piece of your overall wellness. From kids to teens, adults to seniors, we are a comprehensive general dentistry practice that serves your entire family.