It is distressing to go to sleep looking forward to a restful night only to wake instead with a tension headache caused by teeth grinding. It is uncomfortable to go through an entire day with a tight and sore jaw. The unconscious clenching and gnashing of teeth are common problems, and the solution is simple – a night guard. At Dentistry for Life, we customize night guards to give you relief from the pain you experience day after day.
Oral Health Complications from Grinding Your Teeth
If you’re a teeth grinder, you already know this unconscious habit can lead to some serious pain. Headaches and jaw aches are a given because of pressure and inflammation, but your oral health can suffer too. Teeth grinding – also known as bruxism – is often responsible for:
• Worn enamel
• Receding gums
• Damage to existing dental work
• Tenderness when biting or chewing
• Broken teeth
You may have the telltale clicking or popping of jaw joints that may lead to a diagnosis of temporomandibular disorder (TMD). TMD can stem from an injury, a problem with your facial muscles and jaw joint, and, of course, stress.
Get Night Guards in Center City Philadelphia
Plenty of over-the-counter options for teeth grinding are advertised as effective and amazing. Beware. The lack of a personalized fit on a drugstore appliance can cause damage and pain beyond what you’re already experiencing.
Customized night guards are designed to fit your mouth and directly address chronic pain. This sophisticated dental mouthguard offers the kind of relief many of our patients have only dreamt possible.
We treat patients for bruxism at our Center City dental office using the following solutions:
• NTI night guard: An NTI night guard protects the teeth from touching together so they don’t grind against each other. The appliance also stops the clenching behavior by triggering a nerve reflex to make the muscles relax.
• Full-coverage night guards: A full-coverage night guard protects your upper teeth from your lower teeth and vice versa. We will take impressions of your mouth to create a night guard that fits snugly on your teeth for the most effective solution.
• Sports guards: Whether amateur or professional athlete, you must protect your teeth. The stress of a game can make you grind and clench your teeth, while even low-impact sports can lead to dental damage. Protect your teeth from all potential risks when you’re on the field or court.
Additional Solutions for Teeth Grinding
While night guards effectively eliminate the side effects of teeth grinding, there are other dental treatments that can help you combat this uncomfortable and inconvenient habit, sometimes permanently.
• Invisalign: Often, teeth grinding is a side effect of jaw misalignment. Straightening out your teeth and smile gets everything in the place it’s supposed to be. You’re likely to find that after your Invisalign treatment is complete, you are free from teeth grinding. Plus, along the way, the nearly invisible aligners act as a sort of night guard to protect your teeth while you sleep.
• Botox: As one of the most popular facial fillers, Botox has its cosmetic uses. This substance, however, can also make a major medical difference. For people who grind or clench their teeth, the delivery of Botox right to the pain center can treat the problem and minimize discomfort immediately.
Get a Night Guard in Center City, Philadelphia
Are you suffering with headaches, mouth pain, or other oral health problems because you grind your teeth? One of the most effective ways to combat teeth grinding, night guards are customized to fit your mouth so you can get relief.
We help our patients with this common problem every day. Save your teeth and your sanity by getting fitted for a night guard. Contact us at Dentistry for Life in Center City to schedule your appointment to discuss teeth grinding, night guards, sports guards, and more.