If only you could have your dental work done without even realizing it. If only you could sleep through your dental procedures and wake up with beautiful, healthy teeth. Turns out, these wishes are reality if you opt for twilight sedation. At Dentistry for Life, we offer sedation dentistry as an option for our most anxious patients and those undergoing multiple cosmetic or restorative dentistry treatments at one time. Your smile makeover is always within reach, especially when you can relax at the dentist.
What Is Twilight Sedation?
Twilight sedation, also known as conscious sedation, is a form of anesthesia that allows our patients to feel comfortable during and after their dental procedures. Mild doses of sedatives are used to reduce anxiety, block pain, and put patients into a twilight state.
For people who resist being out of control, twilight sedation makes you sleepy but allows you to remain semi-conscious, so you can respond, communicate, and follow directions as needed. Ventilation is not required and the drugs can be quickly reversed.
Twilight sedation is not a substitute for local anesthesia, like Novocain, which numbs the area of the mouth that is being addressed. The two are typically used in conjunction, and may also be accompanied by laughing gas, an additional relaxation technique that quickly wears off when the gas is removed.
Twilight sedation is not to be confused with general anesthesia, which is when a patient is completely unconscious.
Who Needs Center City Twilight Sedation?
It helps for you to be calm during your dental appointments, so we can carefully and thoroughly complete our work to provide you with the very best oral health care. Many patients qualify for twilight sedation. We will review your medical history to determine if “sleep dentistry” is right for you.
Those who benefit the most from this technique are individuals with extreme dental anxiety, and patients who want as many dental procedures done in one sitting as possible. Patients who fit into the following categories are also well-served by twilight sedation:
- Panic disorder or anxiety
- Needle phobic
- Fear of the drilling sound
- Sensitive teeth
- Severe gag reflex
- Complex dental needs
- Difficulty getting numb
- Suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder
- Have autism dementia, or Parkinson’s disease
Procedures That Can Be Done Under Twilight Sedation
Twilight sedation can be used during many cosmetic dentistry and restorative dentistry procedures. These can include:
- Dental implants: Most dental procedures are non-surgical, but dental implants are considered a dental surgery. The implantation of the new tooth root will go much more smoothly, especially for patients who are getting several implants, if you are under twilight sedation during the procedure.
- Root canal therapy: Root canal therapy is involved dental work. Removing a tooth’s root and cleaning its canals, then placing a porcelain crown over the tooth in question will go much more smoothly for an anxious patient when they are under sedation.
- Gum disease treatment: Even the earliest stages of gum disease can be painful during gum disease treatment. Choosing oral sedation can minimize any discomfort and allow you to wake up with a fresh slate of healthy teeth and gums.
- Tooth extraction: Having a tooth pulled is more than just pliers and a good yank. This is an involved procedure that requires great effort and care. Being in a twilight state for tooth extraction makes the procedure go faster for patients and easier for your dentist.
- Emergency dentistry: When you have a dental emergency that requires immediate dental intervention to repair or save teeth, twilight sedation delivers the calm that stressed and panicked patients need.
Get Twilight Sedation in Center City
Sleep through your dental procedures in Center City with the help of twilight sedation. Contact Dentistry for Life at our Center City dental office to schedule your consultation, get our recommendations, and find out whether you are a good candidate for sedation dentistry.